Community Cannery

1945-1970s

 
 

Sand Rock Cannery

For over three decades, local farmers, gardeners, and homemakers came to the Sand Rock Cannery to can their produce.
 

S. E. Pate, agri-business teacher at Sand Rock High School, oversaw the plant's operation from 1945 until it closed in the 1970s.  Mrs. Ola Boman managed the recordkeeping duties.

Those using the canning facilities supplied their own jars & lids, and paid a small fee per container -- four cents each for pints, six cents for quarts, eight cents for half-gallons, and ten cents for gallons.

People came from neighboring communities and from as far away as Birmingham and Chattanooga to use the cannery.